Monday, October 12, 2009

Qu’est-ce qui s’est passé?


What just happened ?

Well, last night was absolutely terrible, wouldn't you say? I had to listen to that turd of a ninth inning over here all by my lonesome myself in my little chambre à coucher (bedroom). It was quite the kick in the gut, Even when I am 3,441.5 miles away they still get me (yes, that is the exact distance from Fenway park to my apartment here in the 17ième arrondissement of Paris, I used Google Earth). Cue the music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saalGKY7ifU And then having to get up this morning and read that the Pats lost in OT to Josh McDaniels and the Broncos….very disappointing.

Besides the terrible Sunday evening, I had a pretty good weekend. On Saturday, I met up with a friend and we went to Centre Georges Pompidou and the Musée National d’Art Moderne. Two floors of the Centre Pompidou are dedicated to the musee, the 4ième et 5ième niveaux . The 4ième niveau was the contemporary art floor, with a special exhibition right now called elles@ centripompidou. It was so bizarre. I was reading the English explanations of all the different artwork and I still didn’t understand what they were trying to say. The fifth floor was much better, lots of cubism, Picassos, much nicer to walk through. Plus, it didn't have rooms with giant video projections of naked woman standing on random boxes and flailing around trying to fly....like I said, it was a bizarre exhibition.

It was kind of my weekend for absurd art. On Friday, I visited Milly-la-Forêt (town about an hour from Paris) and saw Le Cyclop with my contemporary art class. It was strange to say the least, un fou furieux (a furious madness) my teacher rightly called it. It was pretty much a big tree house that a bunch of artists built in the middle of the forest. It was really fun to walk through, with the big tree growing in the middle and it had all kinds of moving parts but it was really bizarre to think how someone could be motivated to build something like that. Trop beaucoup du vin, peut-etre? I was required to go because I am taking the installations art class at Reid Hall but I am glad I went. We also visited Barbizon, the tiny village where many French painters lived and worked. It’s too bad nobody outside our class signed up to come on the trip but maybe that had something to do with our leaving at 8:45 on a Friday morning....

Back to this past weekend, after doing the Centre Pompidou, Meredith and I grabbed a little lunch and hopped on the Metro to get to Montmartre for la fête des Vendanges (Grape Harvest Festival), a yearly festival in the 18ième that celebrates the Parisian grape harvest. Before coming to Paris, I had no idea that there were even les vignobles in the city! As it turns out, there are actually small vineyards in Montmartre, the 18ième arrondissement of Paris. Right next to Sacré Coeur was le Parcours de Goût featuring small stands with specialties from all the regions of France. I bought une flûte de champagne (actually allowed to be called champagne because it comes from the Champagne-Ardenne region of France) and spent the rest of the afternoon wandering around looking at all the amazing specialty foods for sale. On our way back to the Metro, Meredith and I walked alongside a parade featuring peoples dressed in traditional French costumes, each representing a different wine region. I was even poured a small cup of wine by one of the guys walking in the parade. He was carrying a bottle and small cups to give the spectators a taste of his company's wine. Is that even allowed in the US? C’est la France!

No comments:

Post a Comment