Sunday, November 29, 2009

Ma Famille






My family left early, early yesterday morning after spending the week in Paris with me. Hamilton has a ten day Thanksgiving break so my fam arrived Sunday morning and left yesterday morning. I was kind of sad without them yesterday. This past week was jam packed, visiting the sites of Paris and spending time with my family. It’s a good thing I get to go home in a few weeks. Yesterday I just sat in my room and tried to do homework all day (limited success). Today at least I went out around 11 and sat doing homework in a café for a couple hours. I pretty much didn’t see my host family for a week so it is kind of awkward to be going back to eating with them and acting like I didn’t just disappear for a week.

So last Sunday morning, I got up and went to Aeroport Charles de Gaulle to greet the fam. We got into Paris, found the hotel no problem, and we were off. We had to deal with some lousy weather during the week but overall it wasn’t a big deal. It was funny to go back to being a tourist in Paris all over again. I definitely haven’t been blasé about everything in Paris but it was refreshing to experience everything my family who haven’t seen it all before. Plus, we got to do a couple things I haven’t done yet either (go up Notre Dame to see the gargoyles, Chateau de Versailles) so I got to join in on some of the newbie revelry too. Plus, I got to spend Thanksgiving with my fam. We found a resturant that was advertising le dinde as its lunch special so we had a French style turkey Thanksgiving before going to my little rugby tournament. Turkey for lunch and rugby in the afternoon, almost just like home!

Mom, Dad, and Leah all did very well getting used to the French and not really speaking the language. My mom understood a lot of the signs and what people were saying from her college French classes. Leah took French in high school and has been to Paris on two different school trips, but only spent a day or two in Paris on each trip. She now takes intro Spanish at Hamilton but her French isn’t completely gone. She has to make a presentation in her Spanish class on Monday so I hope being surrounded by French for a week didn’t mess her up too much. Daddy was pretty funny throughout the week. It took him about two days to be comfortable saying merci instead of thank you but he got by just fine. There is so much English in France that even if nobody in my family spoke French we wouldn't have had any problems.

Ok, well I should get back to doing some homework. December is practically here so that means so are the due dates for my final papers. I wish it wasn’t so cold though in my room. It hard to focus and do work when I’m all bundled up in like four layers of clothing.

Good luck to my team who’s playing Trinity today! Bon courage les filles!

No comments:

Post a Comment