Saturday, September 5, 2009

Je suis à Paris!

Wow, I am finally here. After months of anticipation (not to mention paperwork) I am actually settled in Paris. It is a little overwhelming but I am not freaking out too much. Today had the potential to be one of the most stressful days of my life but it has all worked out.

My last couple days with the Marlier’s were a little crazy. Patrick’s sister died unexpectedly on Wednesday and the family flew to Switzerland, where she was a teacher, for the funeral Thursday night. They came back late Friday night and Marie brought me to the Bordeaux airport this morning for my quick flight to Paris. From what I understood, which wasn’t a lot, it was a miserable trip. Patrick’s mother has Alzheimer’s and it is difficult to travel with her. Marie explained something terrible that had happened concerning her belle-mère but I had no idea what she was saying. I just nodded and made sad faces at seemingly appropriate times. They appreciated the little supermarket flowers I bought for the kitchen and Marie bade me a very fond farewell at the airport. I really enjoyed mon séjour à Bordeaux but boy, I am ready for Paris!

I am living in the 17ieme arrondissement, not all that far from the l’Arc de Triomphe and the Champs Élysées. It’s an old apartment building and although it’s not covered in vines, it is très chic. I’ve never lived in an apartment before but so I don’t have much to compare it to but I know it is very nice. My host family, the D’Ussel’s, have been very welcoming and I think we will get along well. The youngest daughter, age 18, took me on a little walk this afternoon to find the metro and see some of the quartier. They have four children, two boys and two girls all between the ages of 18 and 24. The boys do not live here during the week but make appearances on the weekends I have been told. I don’t know too much about the family yet. All I really know if from the sheet I was handed in my info packet when I arrived at the airport. I hope to do some more exploring tomorrow. I still feel like I don’t know a lot about the family’s living style yet. Marie Marlier explained everything upon my arrival but Caroline has not and I’m too shy to ask about random stuff. I’m sure I’ll figure it out as I go along….

Shout out to the Hamilton field hockey team and ma petite soeur who are opening the season today. Go get ‘em girls!

À bientôt

No comments:

Post a Comment